Sunday, January 9, 2011

Last night I dreamed about spending the day with my grandpa, which was awesome in so many ways, but particularly sweet because he passed away about 10 years ago. Unfortunately I spent most of his visit on the phone trying to arrange the details of this or that activity instead of sitting on the couch next to him asking questions, or sitting on the couch next to him Not asking questions, which might have been even better now that I think of it.
I've said here before that I don't believe in the interpretation of dreams - and got in trouble for it - so I think I should qualify that. I do think that a dream about wasting a day with my grandfather means something about being uncomfortable with my current work/life balance. I don't believe that dreams contain predictive symbols that one could check off from a menu of standardized predictive symbols - that if you dream about owls, you'll go back to school, etc.... do you see what I mean?
I believe in accidents and coincidence, but that we can make the most of them if we choose.
I do not generally believe in conspiracy theories.
I believe in the triumph of the human spirit and that if you sit down and talk with people you think you don't like, you're likely to find common ground.
I believe that something I just said will get me in trouble - probably the conspiracy theory bit.
Someone once told me that everyone in your dreams is you. What do you think about that?
This photo of my grandparents is from 1942, or thereabout. Aren't they beautiful?

1 comment:

  1. The picture of your Grandparents is amazing. Just wonderful! Such personality, and yes, beautiful. I was very interested to hear you talk about dreams. I have always felt that there is so much going on in dreams that we don't understand, and that they are often discounted. I personally have found great power in dreams, at surprising times, but of course everyone seems to have a different theory about what dreams mean.

    ReplyDelete

Do babble on in the most animated language you can muster. I love hearing from you.