Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Flattened, road trip, Kazakhstan, and my underwear.

I've been flattened for the last 36 hours, by the summer bug that Fin picked up somewhere and merrily brought home. This is my own fault, because I am never forward-thinking enough to take any precaution against my children when they are sick. Perhaps, letting him pat my face with his feverish little hands all night was not such a great idea but it seemed to soothe him and that was all I could think of. 36 hours is far too long for Mama to be flattened by anything, so - while I am not feeling like 100 bucks today - I am using the just-keep-swimming method of recovery and hoping for the best.
Also, I have to get better because - Road Trip! We're driving to Bend tomorrow which is nine hours away by car and the trip cannot be put off because my sister is moving to Kazakhstan and Kazakhstan is like 196 hours away by car.
Have I not mentioned that? So anyway, my sister is moving to Kazakhstan, with her family, for two years. At least. Probably I haven't mentioned it because I don't want to talk about it really. Do you even know where Kazakhstan is? Possibly, you do. If not, I have provided a helpful map above. But that doesn't matter. I've given this a lot of thought and it's not about Kazakhstan. Of course it isn't. It's never about Kazakhstan. Just as it's always the mother's fault and no one expects the Spanish Inquisition. I'd go on, but we're risking a nine paragraph tirade about family dynamics and all you came for was a story about my underwear - see, I know who I'm talking to. And so....
Abetting my speedy recovery is the fact that I am wearing my new Liberty of London bra which I found (at the drastically-reduced price of four dollars and twenty-four cents) rummaging thru the lingerie section at Target (and I use the term "lingerie" loosely) whither I had gone because I was mad at my handsome husband for buying a cooler the size of a coffin. It is bringing me great joy today (the bra, not the cooler). Not a great enough joy to offset the removal of one's sister to Khazakstan, but what do you expect for $4.24?
At last, I wish to thank you, you who have alone read to the end of this post. You have good qualities too numerous to count and you use them to your best advantage. Plus, you look smokin' hot today. I adore you and I promise to be slightly more coherent on my return.

4 comments:

  1. It's a joy to read your posts.
    Really. Even this one that you wrote while flattened.
    Wishing you good health and an enjoyable road trip.
    Wishing your sister well in Kazakhstan. Thank you for the map. I was a bit lost.
    So happy about your new bra and wish I had one I could stand wearing.
    Thanks for saying I look smokin' hot today even tho I am sweaty hot and braless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, I'm laughing and smiling (not for the part about you being sick, though) as I make my way through your always humorous (sp?) posts.

    My sister in law adopted her daugher from Kazakhstan 7 years ago. So, had I read this 7 years ago I would have been clueless but now I know it's location well. With that being said, I do know how far it is. :( I'm sending you hugs to help soften (a tiny bit) the pending distance from your sister.

    Hope you feel better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhh goodbyes are hard...especially when it's hard to visit. At least it is only for 2 years and not for good?! I'm trying to look on a bright side for you...*hug*...glad you are feeling better though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was smiling all the way through this one, especially the lingerie/cooler bit, you are too funny! We went to Bend last summer, what a beautiful place and I hope that the trip is fun for your family even though you'll be sending off your sister! I totally get all of the family issues that come up when one person moves so far away, my brother moved to England with his British wife and that has brought up many large issues in my family. You said that it is for 2 years I think, so perhaps she'll move back after that, and I have to ask...why Kazakhstan, it seems random and soooo far away. I'm glad that you are feeling better, being sick while taking care of little ones is the worst, ah! Summer mom, get better!!

    ReplyDelete

Do babble on in the most animated language you can muster. I love hearing from you.