Saturday, February 6, 2010

Five.

Fin is FIVE today. His goals for this year include:
1. being cozy
2. finding a stick, and carrying it around for a while
3. proving that whining gets you what you want, even though it hasn't yet. This process will involve performing roughly the same experiment over and over again, and being undaunted by roughly the same result over and over again. I'm hoping that his tenacity will serve him well on future research projects. And that his charm and good looks will prevent future test subjects from murdering him. Don't knock it, it's worked for him so far.
Five is a big birthday. I can't believe he's already five. I can't believe he's only five. Five means that he's definitively not a baby any more, even if he hides behind my legs when spoken to by adults to whom he's lived next door for all of his life. But mostly five means: school. In the fall, he'll be delivered into an institution that will require an ever increasing amount of his time and energy and from which he will not emerge for 12 to 18 years. Poor baby.
Five also means that my life changes. That I am no longer the mother of babies, toddlers, or preschoolers. It's just a transition on the continuum of motherhood, but this chapter is ending and I'm a little mournful about it. Because it's all about me.

2 comments:

  1. Five, that's so exciting! My oldest turned 5 in October and so far it has been so fun. There seems to be a maturity that comes with 5 that surprised me. I know that I will feel that mornfulness that you are talking about when my youngest reaches this stage...I'm trying to keep her a baby for as long as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New visitor here. 5 is a big #. A milestone for both you and your son. My daughter turned 5 last August and it made me sad. I mean she started Kindergarten that's like school for real. :( They grow so fast.

    ReplyDelete

Do babble on in the most animated language you can muster. I love hearing from you.