Monday, September 24, 2012

Around here....






Around here we have culled the basil. Not the hens. In case you're wondering, clipping one wing (recommended by the internets - on the grounds that it throws their balance off enough) will not stop a hen from flying over the fence.
And? Now, I have an aggressive hen who is pecking the bejabbers out of us - and who can blame her? She's off balance, she's about to lay an egg, and she's protecting the flock from the crazy non-farmer who learned how to clip one wing from a YouTube video.
Some of the internets are suggesting I cull her. Other internets are suggesting behavior modification. Which - seems equally ridiculous, but I'm going that way. You know. Because it's worked so well on my kids.
Chickens were SUCHAGOODIDEA!

1 comment:

  1. ha! Oh no!! We've had good luck with chickens but we let ours rule the roost... we've never clipped their wings and they can go wherever they like during the day (and easily go on their own into the coop at night-- we just have to remember to shut the door at night to keep out raccoons, etc.) Maybe the hands-off approach is easier? I dunno. I hope things get better for you though!

    ReplyDelete

Do babble on in the most animated language you can muster. I love hearing from you.