Monday, May 4, 2009

Flirting.

I'm flirting with the idea of buying only organic cotton fabrics when I buy new fabric. I mostly buy old things for BananaSaurus Rex, but I do buy plenty of new cottons and it's not a good thing.
Cotton is the most heavily sprayed crop in the world. 5% of the world's agricultural land is planted with cotton, but it accounts for 16% of the pesticide usage. It's gross.
The organic cotton industry is growing, but right now less than 1% of the cotton produced is organic. And, frankly? It shows. There are only a handful of retailers who stock organic cotton yardage and most carry a very limited selection. And it's wicked expensive. But, what the heck! I love having only two color choices and paying twice as much!
Going organic won't happen overnight. I have a significant stockpile of conventionally produced fabric that I have to work through.

But I'm flirting with the idea. And waiting to see if it flirts back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do babble on in the most animated language you can muster. I love hearing from you.